Day 18: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
Apple cinnamon oatmeal (serves 2)
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup water
3/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup diced apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped raw walnut pieces
1. Combine the oats, water, almond milk, apples, cinnamon and syrup in a medium pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook until oats have absorbed the liquid and apples are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
2. Divide oats into two bowls and top with raw walnut pieces. Enjoy.
Fennel, avocado, and tomato salad with 1/2 cup chickpeas or white beans (serves 1)
3-4 cups fresh romaine, mesclun greens, spinach, or red leaf lettuce
½ avocado, cut into chunks
½ medium head fennel, sliced thin
½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
5 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
10 or so basil leaves, chopped
Drizzle of agave or sprinkle of stevia (if desired; the salad is already quite sweet)
Sea salt to taste
Mix all of the ingredients together. I find that mixing with my hands distributes the creamy avocado and helps to merge the flavors together. You may want to add a drizzle of oil, but the avocado should give the salad all of the richness it needs. Add as much balsamic as you need or like.
1 cup almond milk blended with 22Days Protein Powder
Roasted vegetable pesto pasta salad (serves 4)
Note: Instead of using brown rice or quinoa pasta in this dish, you can also mix the roasted vegetables and pesto into a whole grain, like brown rice or millet or quinoa, for a more wholesome variation.
3 cups zucchini, chopped into 3/4″ pieces
3 cups eggplant, chopped into 3/4″ pieces
1 large Jersey or heirloom tomato, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
8 oz brown rice or quinoa pasta (penne and fusilli work well)
1/2 – 2/3 cup walnut pesto (see: dressings)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
2. Lay the zucchini, eggplant and tomato out on two parchment or foil lined baking sheets and drizzle with the olive or coconut oil. Coat the vegetables with the oil and roast vegetables for thirty minutes, or until tender and browning.
3. While vegetables roast, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook till al dente (according to package instructions). Drain pasta and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the roasted vegetables and to the pasta. Mix in the pesto, season to taste, and serve at once.