Day 9: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
Apple cinnamon oatmeal (serves 2)
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup water
3/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup diced apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped raw walnut pieces
1. Combine the oats, water, almond milk, apples, cinnamon and syrup in a medium pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook until oats have absorbed the liquid and apples are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
2. Divide oats into two bowls and top with raw walnut pieces. Enjoy.
Roasted butternut squash and apple soup, served with a fresh green salad or steamed veggies as desired (makes 4 servings)
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped (about 3-4 lbs, or 4-5 cups)
3 small apples, roughly chopped
1 very small onion, chopped
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt (+more to taste)
Black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp crushed thyme
2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1. Place squash, apples, and onion on a large roasting tray. Drizzle coconut oil and salt and pepper over them, mix with your hands, and roast at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until they’re all soft and golden.
2. Place roasted veggies in a blender with vegetable broth, nutmeg, coconut milk, and thyme. Blend, and season to taste with salt and pepper. If the soup needs more liquid, add some more, until it reaches the consistency you like.
3. Transfer soup to a pot, re-heat and serve.
22Days Nutrition bar
Raw zucchini alfredo with basil and cherry tomatoes, served with fresh salad or steamed vegetables as desired (serves 2, with leftover alfredo sauce)
2 large zucchini
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup basil, sliced
Raw alfredo sauce ingredients:
1 cup cashews, soaked for at least three hours (or overnight) and drained
1/3 cup water
1 tsp agave or maple syrup
1 clove garlic
3-4 tbsp lemon juice (to taste)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Use a spiralizer or a julienne peeler to cut zucchini into long ribbons (resembling noodles).
2. Add tomatoes and basil to the zucchini noodles and set them all aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Blend all of the alfredo sauce ingredients together in a high speed blender till smooth.
4. Cover the pasta in 1/2 cup sauce, and mix it in well, adding additional sauce as needed (you’ll have some sauce leftover). Serve.
2 raw vegan brownie bites (makes 24-30 balls)
2 cups walnuts
2/3 cup cacao nibs
Generous pinch sea salt (to taste)
1/4 cup raw cacao (or regular cocoa) powder
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1. Place the walnuts, cacao nibs, sea salt, and cacao powder in a food processor and process for about 30 seconds, or till everything is pretty well crumbled up.
2. Add the dates and process for another twenty seconds or so. The mixture should be sticking together. If it’s not, keep processing till it sticks together easily when you squeeze a little in your hand. If you need to, adding a few more dates will help bind it together.
3. Shape the “dough” into balls that are about 3/4 – 1 inch thick by rolling it in your palms. Store in the fridge for 30 minutes, and then they’ll be ready to serve.
Balls will keep, stored in the fridge, for two weeks.