Day 8: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
Gluten free banana pancakes, served with 1 cup fresh berries (serves 2-3)
1 cup all purpose, gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dash sea salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup almond milk
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tbsp + 2 tsp melted coconut oil, divided
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt together.
2. Add the vinegar to the almond milk and whisk together till froth. Add the almond/vinegar mixture to a blender, along with the banana, vanilla, and 1 tbsp coconut oil. Blend till smooth.
3. Mix the liquid mixture into the flour mixture till just combined.
4. Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the batter, heaping 1/4 cup at a time. Let the pancakes cook till bubbles form on the top; then flip and continue cooking till pancakes are cooked through. Repeat with all remaining batter.
5. Serve pancakes with fresh berries.
Mango, kale, and avocado salad (serves 2)
1 bunch curly kale, de-stemmed, chopped, washed, and dried (about 6 cups after preparation)
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 teaspoons flax or olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons maple syrup or agave nectar
Sea salt to taste
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 cup mango, cut into small cubes
1 small Haas avocado, cut into cubes
1. “Massage” the lemon juice, flax/olive and sesame oils, syrup, and salt into the kale till it’s wilted and dressed evenly.
2. Mix in the pepper, mango, and avocado cubes. Toss well to combine. Serve.
Apple, banana, melon, berries, or any other fresh fruit of choice
Eggplant rollatini with cashew cheese, steamed greens or broccoli as desired (serves 4)
2 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked for at least three hours (or overnight) and drained
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3-1/2 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsps dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Black pepper to taste
1/2 10 oz. package frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed thoroughly to remove all excess liquid (I press mine firmly through a sieve)
1 1/2 cups organic, low sodium marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Slice eggplants lengthwise into strips about 1/2” thick. Place eggplant slices onto baking sheets and sprinkle well with sea salt or kosher salt. Let sit for 30 minutes; this decreases bitterness and removes excess moisture. Pat the slices dry, and spray them or brush them lightly with olive oil.
2. Roast eggplant slices till browning (about 20 min), flipping halfway through.
3. While eggplant is roasting, make the cashew cheese. Place the cashews, sea salt, garlic, lemon, and 1/3 cup water in a food processor. Process till the mixture is very smooth and soft (you’re aiming for a texture similar to creamy ricotta cheese), stopping to scrape the bowl down a few times and adding a little extra water as necessary. Stop the motor, and add the nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, and black pepper. Process again to incorporate. Transfer the cashew cheese to a bowl and mix in the chopped spinach. Set the cheese mixture aside.
4. Remove the roasted eggplant from the oven and reduce heat to 325 F. Allow the slices to cool until they can be handled. Transfer them to a cutting board and add about 3 tbsp of the cheese mixture to the end of one side. Roll up from that side, and place seam down in a small casserole dish. Repeat with all remaining slices.
5. Smother the eggplant rolls with tomato sauce, and bake, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, or until hot. Serve with sides of choice.