22 days of nutrition, 22 days of vegan meals, Diary of a Fitness Junkie: 22 Days of Vegan Meals Day 13, Diary of a Fitness Junkie: Healthy Meal Recipes - Five-Spice Turkey & Lettuce Wraps, fitness, meal recipes
Day 13: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
Smoothie of 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen mango, 1 heaping cup spinach leaves, 1 cup coconut water, and 1/2 avocado
Bowl of leftover black bean and sweet potato chili with small salad or steamed greens (recipe serves 6)
1 1/2 cup dried black beans
4 cups sweet potato, diced into 3/4 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped white or yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper en adobo, chopped finely
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 14 or 15 ounce can of organic, diced tomatoes (I like the Muir Glen brand)
1 can organic, low sodium black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Sea salt to taste
1. Heat the tablespoon of oil in a dutch oven or a large pot. Saute the onion for a few minutes, then add the sweet potato and garlic. Keep sauteing until the onions are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Add the chili en adobo, the cumin, the chili powder, and the smoked paprika. Heat until the spices are very fragrant. Add the tomatoes, black beans, and vegetable broth.
3. When broth is bubbling, reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Add more broth as needed, and season to taste with salt. Serve.
Leftover chili can be frozen and will keep for up to five days.
22Days Nutrition bar of choice
Cauliflower “rice” with lemon, mint, and pistachios, served over fresh greens (serves 2)
5 cups raw cauliflower florets
1 oz pistachios
1/4 cup each basil and mint
2 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup dried currants
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Transfer 3 cups of the cauliflower to a food processor. Process until the cauliflower is broken down into pieces that are about the size of rice. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Transfer remaining 2 cups of cauliflower to the food processor. Add the pistachios. Process, once again, until cauliflower is broken down into rice sized pieces. Pulse in the basil and mint till herbs are finely chopped.
3. Add the additional chopped cauliflower, pistachios, and herbs to the mixing bowl with the first batch of cauliflower. Add the lemon juice, oil, and currents. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
Spicy almond milk hot chocolate (serves 4)
4 cups almond milk
4-6 pitted dates (adjust according to preferences)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
¼ tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender till smooth. Heat gently over the stove before serving.