Day 11: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
1 sliced banana with 1 cup organic puffed rice or millet cereal (I like Arrowhead Mills brand) and 1 cup almond milk
Kale Salad with Apples, Raisins, and Creamy Curry Dressing (serves 2-4)
For the dressing:
1/2 cup raw cashews or walnuts
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 pitted dates
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp curry powder
For the salad:
1 head kale, de-stemmed, washed, dried, and cut into bite sized pieces (about 5 cups)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large apple, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup chickpeas
1. Blend all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender till smooth.
2. Massage the kale with the dressing, making sure that everything is well coated and softened (start with 1/2 cup dressing and add as needed—you may have some leftover). Add the apple, carrot, raisins, and chickpeas, and remix the salad, adding more dressing if you like. Serve.
1/4 cup raw trail mix of choice
Sweet Potato Lime Burgers, fresh salad or steamed vegetables as desired
2 raw vanilla macaroons (recipe makes 15 macaroons)
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 heaping cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut oil (will be easiest to roll up the macaroons if the oil is solid when you put it in the processor)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
1. Add almonds to the food processor and process till they’re finely ground.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and process again, till everything is well combined.
3. Working quickly (or else the coconut oil will melt) roll the coconut mixture into small (3/4” – 1”) balls. Place on a parchment lined platter or baking sheet.
4. Transfer platter to the fridge, and refrigerate for a few hours, till the macaroons are solid. Serve.
Macaroons will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.